I am always looking for a cute gift ideas to make for babies. The thing I love most about this one is that whether it is the first baby or the fifth, Burp Rags are ALWAYS needed 🙂 This is my first attempt at a tutorial, so please let me know what you think.
- Cloth Diapers
- Fabric – I used fat quarters, but this can be done with large scraps you have lying around
- Tape Measure
- Rotary Mat
- Rotary Blade
- Sewing Machine
- Iron your diaper so that it is nice and flat.
- You will need to measure the length and width of the inner padded area of the diaper.
- Take your measurements and add 1″.
- Cut your piece of fabric to your measurements. My diaper measured 5″ x 19-1/2″ so I cut my fabric 6″ x 21-1/2″. TIP: Don’t assume all diapers are created equal. My experience has shown that they can be off by at least 1/2″ from each other.
- Press a 1/2″ seam all around the edges of your fabric. I like to turn the corners in to make prettier edges.
- Pin the fabric onto the diaper as shown in the picture.
- Now comes the time for sewing! Choose any stitch that you would like – I prefer to use my zig zag stitch. You will want to stitch as close to the edge of the fabric as possible. TIP: I like to use white thread in my bobbin so it doesn’t show on the under side of the diaper.
- Once you stitch around all 3 sides, you are done!!! Repeat as many times as your heart desires 🙂
Stay tuned for an upcoming tutorial on a coordinating Diaper Pouch – a must-have for the on-the-go Mom. It carries a few diapers and wipes in a cute little case.
Don’t forget to check our website for the perfect fabric to use on these adorable burp cloths!