We are growing by leaps and bounds. We have rearranged our shop to accommodate many new items… We have been in Beautiful downtown Denison for about 8 months and we have seen many changes…. All Good!!
Our Vintage kitchen items are just like Grandma’s. We carry everything from napkins, towels, tablecloths and many more. We have a wide variety of soaps, scrubs, lotions and lip balms as well.
Our leather and up-cycled military tarps and tents are a huge hit. We all have that one person that is hard to buy for and seems to have everything. Whether it a man or woman I am sure we have something to meet every ones needs.
Do you have a quilter in the family or a good friend? What better than making a quilters gift basket as a gift. We have everything a quilter would dream of on our notions wall.
We carry anything and everything Moda, we have Moda Candies, Charm Packs, Honeybuns, Jellyrolls, Layer Cakes and more…..Come check out the feel and quality of our Moda fabrics…We also have bolts of fabric cottons, flannels, chenille just to name a few.
Karen just came back from Arkansas and has many more items to add to our store. Stay tuned.
I have been inspired by a customer, friend and now co-worker… This lady has been truly a push, shove and motivator of Home a la mode, lately… She has talked me into getting on the stick and updating many things. It’s like playing Solitar… you are just trying to get to the finish… But the person standing over your shoulder is looking for what you are missing… So… Sue has been looking over my shoulder and pushing me to click on things that I have neglected for a while… like the BLOG for ONE… So here goes…
We have over 50 different “Say it With WORDS” panels and are making classes and quilting projects using these words to make “A Card In A Quilt”. Our classes for these quilts usually are on Monday’s when our shop is closed, kinda… 🙂 our shop is open Tuesday – Saturday 10-5… but classes and free sewing time is Monday – Saturday 9-6… We have a 6 hr. class that is from 9-4 that is scheduled on Mondays… So, call us and set up your class… It’s $50 and includes a lunch! The supplies are extra… depending on your size you wish to complete. We have several ladies that can let you know the value of our classes and all the neat things you learn and take home with you. Come join us! We are looking for a year full of new techniques and new friends!
We teach you from beginning to end… How to choose your fabrics, how to cut with the Rotary cutter and supplies, how to build your quilt, layer it with batting, quilt it yourself, and how to bind and finish your project! No PIGS in our classes… Oh, sorry, that means… Projects in Grocery Sacks… So, we will take you through completion before, during and after your class… We want you to succeed in a completed project!
After all… these girls have grown up helping Granny out with the Home a la mode business. We do shows every month, 2-3 times per month… So if we don’t catch you at one of the shows we do… we hope to see you shopping in the store… at a RETREAT… ONLINE.. or wherever our paths cross. See you soon! Karen, Brenda, Mistey, Patsy, Betsy, Sue, Marian, Judy, and others… Make it a GREAT day!
Welcome to our shop in Beautiful Downtown DENISON Texas… Located at 611 W Main Street… find our house amongst the large buildings. We carry all the Moda fabrics, precuts, frivols, notions, lots of yardage and a whole lot more! This lady below is Brenda… one of the Home a la mode ladies, here to help you with your fabric and gift needs. Classes are ongoing. Our classes are taught by several… Mistey Jones teaches a 12 week class for making a sampler quilt… Also, a disappearing 9 patch, as well as several other classes. Elsie Russell is ready to teach us painting classes… Let us know your wants and needs for this class. Also, Brenda McKinnon is ready to teach us basket weaving. I, teach several classes for beginners and quilters wanting to know different techniques. I am the “Word Girl” and the Fusible Queen… We like our flannel class called “Flannel Tonight” and our “1-2-3” class, as well as several other classes. Stay tuned for our Class and Show event calendar postings. Working on it. 🙂 Thanks for your patience! Karen
This is just one of our areas to do a classroom… do you have a teacher or project in mind? Come visit us soon! We also have a unique gift shop! Lots of state towels, tablecloths, vintage kitchen and WORD Pillows as well as our REPURPOSED purses made from tents, tarps, canvas and army surplus… All.. one of a kind!!! Get yours for Christmas!!!
We’ve decided to open a Quilt Shop. And what Quilt Shop is complete without a place to do the quilting? That’s why we are also opening a Retreat House – it’s a great place to come and gather with friends to share your love of quilting and crafting.
Please join us at our GRAND OPENING – it will be a fun day full of amazing Door Prizes!
Can’t wait to see you!
Polka Dots & Paisleys are here! Frivols #2 by Moda is in stock and ready for immediate shipment.Faithful. From the beginning, we wanted this quilt to feature the signature cream, red and blue color palette of Polly Minick & Laurie Simpson. We also wanted it to reflect Laurie’s style of quilt – a lot of pieces and very scrappy.
The name of the quilt comes from Polly and Laurie’s family – if you didn’t know, they’re sisters. Polly’s oldest son, Jim Minick, served in the Marine Corps and retired as a Colonel. Semper Fi – semper fidelis – always faithful. It just seemed right. (Jim now the Director of Football Operations for the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Go Blue!)
The squares included in the kit are enough to make the Faithful quilt top – no additional fabric is required except for the binding and backing. Faithful measures 26″ x 26″.
Several fabrics are duplicated in the Frivol roll, as many as three squares of a few of the background fabrics are included. That allowed us to keep the limited color palette while still allowing the quilt to be made with just the 7″ x 7″ squares.
This is ONE of 12 Frivols…
#1 and #2 are now available… Get yours now… VERY Limited quantities. $44.99 per kit – buy 1 or buy all 12 collectors sets.
Ask and you shall receive. Many of you feel in love with our “Quilter’s Think” tote bag. Here is the tutorial so you can make one for yourself.
- Iron panel flat and cut out according to the lines. You will end up with (12) 3.5″ squares.
- Cut (12) 3/5″ squares of each of the polka dot fabrics.
- Iron onto piece of grid in the pattern shown in the picture. (I ironed both sides of the bag at the same time and will trim it after sewing.)
- Flip and sew each row, leaving the middle seam unsewn for trimming. (Check out our video HERE to see how to use the Quilter’s Grid).
- Cut down the middle, unsewn seam to separate into 2 equal pieces.
- Measure across the middle of each piece to determine the size of top and bottom borders.
- Cut (4) 4″ wide strips by the width of the main piece. If you are going to add the accent strip, you will want to cut (4) 1.5″ strips the width of the main piece as well.
- Fold accent piece in half and iron.
- You will now sandwich the accent piece, the 4″ border strip, and the main piece together, with right sides together and raw edges towards the seam. The Wonder Clips are great for this step – NO PINS NEEDED 🙂
- Sew and iron with the accent piece facing the desired direction.
- Repeat for 3 other seams.
- Measure you main body pieces and cut (2) squares of Soft & Stable to match. I used Basting Spray to attach the stabilizer to the main body piece. You can now quilt these pieces or just leave the way they are. I just ran a straight stitch across the seam of the border pieces.
- Cut out (2) 4″ x the height of the main body piece & stabilizer. Spray bast these pieces.
- Cut out (1) 4″ x the width of the main body piece & stabilizer for the bottom of the bag. Spray bast this piece.
- Sew the 2 side pieces to the main body pieces to create the body of the bag. Then carefully sew the bottom piece, making sure you get the corners attached.
- Cut out (2) pieces of the Pink Polka Dot fabric to the same size of the main body pieces.
- Cut out (2) 4″ x the height of the main body piece.
- Cut out (1) 4″ x the width of the main body piece.
- Cut out (1) 10″ x 12″ piece. Fold, right sides together, to create a 6″ x 10″ rectangle – press flat. Sew 3 open sides, leaving a small gap for turning.
- Turn right side out and press.
- Line up the pocket about 4″ from the top of the bag liner piece and centered, making sure the gap for turning is at the bottom.
- Sew on the pocket on 3 sides, leaving the top open. You can also add an additional seam in the middle of the pocket from top to bottom to create a double pocket.
- Sew all liner pieces together to create the bag lining.
- Insert liner into main body, matching seams. Sew a small hem to keep the liner in place.
- Create a “binding” for the top of the bag by cutting a 2″ strip and ironing it to create a double folded strip.
- Using the Wonder Clips, attach. the binding to the top of the bag. Machine stitch this on, covering all raw edges.
- Once done, you will hand stitch the leather handles on.
- The last step is to show off your beautiful new bag to your friends 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. I’m still new to writing directions, so please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for future tutorials.